Day 9

Today started a little different than the other days.  The nurses must have started taking vitals along another wing of the hospital, because we got to sleep in until 6:10am today.  :)   I was in a deep sleep after not sleeping well last night, and was awaken by the male nurse grabbing my arm to take my blood pressure.   Joe, my room mate and new buddy, was still sawing logs.

After vitals and meds, I had to get right up and get ready for the 6:30am class/group.  Today is my forth Sleepy, so I can't get any coffee.  This means, I'm going to be pretty much worthless in terms of absorbing anything in this first class.

After I wipe the sleep of my face and shave, I stumble down the hall and downstairs to the auditorium.  I'm still about half asleep.  As usual, the morning meeting starts with the councilor asking what we are up to today.  As she goes around the room, it is amazing to see how far everyone has progressed.  It seems like some of these people just arrived yesterday, and they are today getting ready for their third Duffy (the half way point).  When the councilor comes to me, I say I'm having my fourth sleepy today.  The councilor responds back "Wow, you are almost finished.  Tomorrow is your final Duffy, isn't it?"    I respond back that it is my final day tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to my Sleepy today.

It is simply amazing that this journey is almost over and how far I have come because of it.  I owe my life to Schick Shadel and the people here that I've met.  This program and the experience have truly changed me and given me my life back.

After the morning classes, I head up stairs and work on some of my homework as I wait for my Sleepy.   The hardest part about the Sleepys is the fasting.  I'm REALLY thirsty.

Finally, around 10:30am, my buzzer goes off, paging me to the nurses station.  I grab my list of affirmations and questions and head to the nurses station and find Hannah, the counselling assistant, waiting for me.  She asks if I'm ready, then we head back to the Sleepy interview room.

I take a seat in the reclining chair and the anesthesiologist starts the IV and gives Hannah the thumbs up that I'm good to go.  I know it's going to be lights out in just a matter of seconds, so I try to focus on staying awake.  Hannah has me start repeating affirmation, then the next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room.  I'm always amazed at this entire process and that fact that you remember none of it.

After waking up a bit, the nurse transfers me to a wheel chair and takes me back to my room.  My buddy Joe has already returned from his Sleepy and he's just relaxing in bed.   The nurse puts me in my bed and says they'll have a tray of grub for me in just a few minutes.  I'm starving, so the tray can't come soon enough.

After eating and waking up a bit, I just relax in my bed reflecting on this incredible journey this past week and a half.  I'm really looking forward to my counselling appointment later in the afternoon to see what I said during my Sleepy.

Around 3:30pm, I'm paged to the counselling office.  I'm always really excited for my counselling appointments.  My councilor Sam is a really great guy and always so upbeat and good to talk to.  His positive energy is contagious.

I head down stairs and find Sam waiting for me in the hall.  We head into his office and talk about my departure from SSH tomorrow.  We go through some housekeeping things, then Sam pulls out my interview questions and answers from earlier today (the questions asked me under sedation during my sleepy).

Sam looks at the questions and says "Wow, you really said alot."  This interview went for quite some time -- longer than most.

As we go through the questions, I'm amazed at the questions and my responses.  They are so well thought out and reflect my desire to focus on my wife and daughters and for my recovery and sobriety.  I even make a comment that I'd like to get involved with SSH and share with others what I've learned here.  My responses give me a warm feeling in my heart.

One of the final questions asked me was "What is your current level of aversion to alcohol?"  My respond is: Very Strong.   I'm really happy to hear this.  I feel like my aversion to alcohol is strong, but to have it confirmed under sedation (truth serum) really feels good.  This process is working incredibly well for me!

Sam and I finish up my ongoing recovery plan after I leave SSH, then I head back upstairs.   All in all, this is a great day and I feel amazing!

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment