Day 2 (post-duffy)

I finished my Duffy treatment and it was intense.   After entering the treatment room, the nurse had me sit and then she gave me the shot of vasodilator.  I very quickly felt like I had a fever.  She then had me drink the ipecac, which tasted horrible.  The nurse then said we'd wait for 5 minutes or so for the ipecac to kick in.

After about 5 minutes, she had me smell then drink 2 shots of alcohol followed by 2 small glasses of warm water.  Then 2 more shots of alcohol: smell then drink. At this point, my stomach is really starting to complain.   I had 2 more cups of warm salt water, then the flood gates opened.  I threw up like I had the worse flu ever.  I'm drenched in sweat.  After emptying what had to be everything I drank in there, the nurse took me back to my room and put me into bed with a towel soaked in vodka and something else right next to my face.  She put the puke pale in front of my and told me to think about my addiction and not to get out of bed.  Then she left.

Smelling the wretched towel, I threw up again.  About the time I start feeling a little better, the nurse comes in with the "Booster."  The booster is a 12 oz cup of warm beer and ipecac.  She tells me to drink it.  It tastes absolutely horrible and I'm instantly nauseated.  From this point out, the nausea builds again and I throw up 2-3 more times and then the diarrhea kicks in. This is the horrible, explosive, type of diarrhea that makes you feel awful.

By the end of my 3 hour period, just thinking about alcohol makes me feel nauseous.

The nurse comes in and takes my vitals, then releases me from my treatment. I finally get to eat, which makes me feel much better.  However, the diarrhea lasts well into the night.

Not a fun experience at all, but I'm glad for it.  If this is what it takes to break my craving for alcohol, I will gladly do it.

I'm wore out and am in bed by 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment