Day 3

Today is the "Sleepy" treatment day.  All of the people I run into who have been here longer than I have really speak highly of the sleepys, so I was excited to see what these were all about.

The day started early, as always, at 5:30am with the nurse coming in to check my vitals.  Given I had a sleepy scheduled for later in the day, I was supposed to fast from midnight until after my sleepy.  So, that meant no coffee--as such, I was really slow to get up and moving.

I was completely lethargic the entire morning, even after going to the 6:30am group class and the 7:30am group class.  Both classes were very good ones, centering on personality types and the brain.

After the morning classes, I was left to cool my heals until my sleepy.  Because the staff was short handed today, the sleepy schedule was running behind, so I didn't get into my sleepy until 1pm (yes, I'd not eaten in about 20 hours at this point).

To prepare for my sleepy, I selected a set of affirmations from a list given to us that are to be read to me during the sleepy.  I was also told to write some questions that would be asked to me under sedation.  One of the questions I wrote was "When I drink alcohol, what is it that I'm trying to escape from?"

To begin the sleepy, I'm was taken into a room with a councilor and an anesthesiologist and placed in a recliner chair. The anesthesiologist began an IV, then starts the sedation medications.  The last thing I remember is the councilor asking me "What age did you begin drinking."   The next thing I'm aware of is waking up in the recovery room with a nurse saying "Oh, you are awake."   I wake up slightly groggy and after 15min or so, I'm taken back to my room and told to stay in bed for about an hour to make sure the sedation wears off.  Within 5 minutes of being taken to my room, a nurse brings me lunch; which I quickly woof down because I'm sooo hungry.

During the Sleepy, they asked me questions under sedation.  It is a conscious sedation, so they are able to get right into your sub-conscious mind with these questions.   The councilor is recording the questions asked you and your responses.  Later in the day, I had an appointment with a councilor to go over the questions and my answers.

At my counselling appointment, I was asked to read the questions then my responses.  I was a little surprised at some, but others were exactly what I would have thought I'd say.  Of specific interest was my response to the question I wrote myself:  "When I drink alcohol, what is it that I'm trying to escape from."  My response was basically that I don't like my job anymore.  Going forward, I need to think long and hard about my work situation and if staying in this job is really healthy and best for me.

One thing I will add is that after the Sleepy, I feel incredibly refreshed, happy, and energized.  This is a great follow up to the Duffy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment