Day 8

Today is Duffy #4 for me.  I decided to get some sleeping pills from the nurse last night to get a better nights rest, but it backfired on me.  I woke up this morning feeling horribly groggy and dragging.

The 6:30am meeting came way to early, but since I'm having a Duffy today I get to drink coffee.  On my way to the meeting I grab a cup of joe and head down stairs. Today's meeting just went by in a fog because of how tired I still am and also because of how nervous I am for my Duffy.  These Duffys things are getting progressively more difficult.

My Duffy is schedule for 10am, so I start drinking water at 8am.  Gotta get 2 liters down before my Duffy.

As my Duffy time approaches, I make my way down to the nurses station to start to psych myself up.  16 drinks today in this Duffy -- it is going to be a difficult one.  I also found out that they are going to open up the liquor cabinet on me and throw several different types of alcohol into the Duffy.

At around 10:15am, Florence comes to grab me for my Duffy.  I've never had Florence before as my treatment nurse, but I've heard she can really put the hurt on you.  Florence leads me back to the Duffy room, where I find 7 different bottles of alcohol on the counter in front of me.  My stomach starts to tighten as I take my seat in front of the stainless steel basin.

Florence is a really nice nurse, which kind of goes against what I thought she was going to be like given everyone said how hard she is in the Duffy room.  She has me drink the tall glass of ipecac and a glass of salt water.  Both make me gag.  She then tells me to go for a walk for 10min or so to let the ipecac stir around in my stomach. 

I walk out of the Duffy room with a smile on my face just to mess with some of my fellow patients waiting for their Duffys.  Want them to think I'm having a ball in there -- they don't buy it.  One responds:  She's having you peculate huh?  

After about 7-10min, I start to get really queeze, so I head back to the Duffy room and take my seat again.  Florence gives me the shot of vasodialator in my arm and I an immediate hot wave flashes over me and I start to sweat.  Florence politely hands me my first glass and says "Drink."  It's about 2/3 vodka and 1/3 water.  I take a smell and drink, then immediately throw it back up.  However, after that one drink the nausea starts to settle down a bit (strange).  She then hands me another drink:  2/3 white wine and 1/3 water.  I drink it.  Then she hands me a glass of red wine.  I drink it and am feeling nauseous, but don't throw up.  Florence tells me:  It's got to come back up.  Use the tongue depressor.  So I take the tongue depressor and touch the back of my tongue and immediately puke up what I'd just drank, but it isn't as violent type I'd had in Duffy #3.

Florence then hands me a glass of my favorite Single Malt Whiskey and tells me to smell and drink.  As I'm looking at the bottle, I smell and drink; then immediately the flood gates hope and I puke violently into the bowl.  This is how the rest of the Duffy goes:  Drink then puke, 16 times.    I never thought it would be over.

At the end of the treatment, Florence fixes up my stinky rag by pours whiskey, tequila, red wine, and vodka onto the towel.  She even turns up her nose at it.  It really stinks.

Florence leads me back to my room and I crawl into bed.  The nausea level is maxed out and I'm on the verge of throwing up.

About 30min after being returned to my room, the nurse comes in the the "Booster."  She takes my vitals then hands it to me.  I drink it as quick as possible, but before she even leaves the room, the flood gates open and I throw it all back up and continue to puke for the next 30 minutes and fill half of my Duffy basin.

This is by far the most difficult Duffy yet.

Right about the time my puking stops, a treatment nurse brings my roomate in who had his 4th Duffy today.  This is going to get interesting....

The nurse put Joe into his bad and he is just laying their moaning.  I continue to smell my stinky rag and think about when I'd drank in the past.

About 30min later, the nurse brings Joe his booster.  Joe drinks it, then immediately starts violently throwing up into his pan.  My nausea level shoots up and I nearly start puking again.

I spend the rest of my Duffy in agony and in fact am still in agony 6 hours later.  I head up to the nurses station for some anti-nausea meds.  We're not supposed to feel this nauseated this long after our Duffy.

Pat O'Day (The SSH spokesman) is going to speak tonight, so I want to be as alert as possible.

The presentation by Pat O'Day is very good.  I only wish my wife was here to have heard it.  It gave alot of insight into this program.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment