Day 6

Day 6 was Duffy #3, supposedly one of the most difficult duffys.  Mine is slated for 9:15am with Turea.

The morning nurse gave us a wake-up at 5:20am for vitals and then meds.  I am starting to think that them getting us up so early around here is part of the conditioning.  It's difficult to sleep around here anyway, but when combined with the early wake-up calls you are running on little sleep the entire time.  It makes the entire experience someone of a mental challenge in addition to being a physical challenge.

Todays "Breakfast of Champions" class, the 6:30 am class, was about the 3rd Agreement:  Never Make assumptions.  I'm going to have to re-read this later, because my brain was just barely working.  I remembered the name of the assumption, but not much else.    Class is over at 7:00am.  I headed up stairs and grabbed my first pitcher of water and started drinking.  Gotta get get a couple of these puppies down before my Duffy.

By the time 8:00am rolls around, I've finished off my first pitcher and grabbed my second pitcher of water and headed down to the second class.  I started to get the nausea feeling in my stomach as I headed to class.  In fact, I was starting to feel a little freaked out by doing my 3rd Duffy.  Turea is going to hurt me, I know it. Needless to say, I didn't retain much of the subject matter of the class because I was thinking about my Duffy, so I just focused on hydrating.

9:15am approaches, so I make my way down to the Duffy queuing area, just in front of the nurses station.  A few other victims are hanging out there as well, waiting for their treatment nurse to come grab them.   After about 10minute wait, Turea comes out and grabs me, with an ominous look, and leads me into the Duffy room.  I immediately belly up to the puke pan.   In front of me is a tall glass of ipecac, two glasses of warm salt water, and two drinks already poured.   

Turea hands me a small shot of vodka and asks me to drink it and tell her my aversion level.  I sniff it and nausea rolls through me.  I take a small drink and tell her my aversion level is about a 0 (moderate).

Turea gives me a shot of vasodilator and tells me to drink the ipecac and warm water.  Here we go.....

I quickly swig down the ipecac and the taste makes me instantly nauseous as the vasodilator starts to make me sweat like a pig.   I then drink the two glasses of warm salt water as quickly as I can.  

Turea pulls out a bottle of one of my favorite Single Malt Whiskey and asks "Is this the stuff you like."  I nod yes.   She then sits the bottle right in front of me.    

She then slides two glasses of vodka in front of me and tells me to drink up.  I take the first glass, sniff it, then start drinking as fast as I can.  I make it about 2/3 of the way through the vodka before I puke everything I 'd drank and then some.  I drink the rest of the glass holding back throwing up as much as I can and grab the second glass.  I drink as fast as I can, but half way through the glass the flood gates open and I empty my stomach  puking several times into the steal basin in front of me.   After I finish, I try to drink the rest of the glass, but instantly puke it up.

Turea then hands me a tall glass of water and tells me to drink all of it.  I guess she's having me reload my stomach before she hands me another drink.  After drinking the water, she pours me stiff single malt whiskey with water and tells me to drink it quickly.   I get 1/2 way through the glass and puke in all out, including the water I just drank.  I try to finish off the glass of whiskey, but can't even get it down my throat before puking.

Turea then hands me another glass of water -- reloading again.  This goes on for the remainder of my duffy:  Me drinking a tall glass of water before each drink and then puking before finishing the drink.  On the last drink, I barely drink 1/2 of it before puking.  I'm covered in sweat and breathing hard from all of the effort....  I don't know if I can even finish the rest.  

Thankfully Turea tells me to just sniff, swish and spit the rest.  Thank God!  Turea asks me "How does that bottle of whiskey look to you now."  I respond "It's making me sick."

I'm then led back to my room where I'm placed in bed with a rag soaked in vodka, scotch, and grande marne.   Talk about smelling awful.   As I lay down in bed, I almost puke just smelling it and gag.  I quickly grab the Duffy pan.

I lay there in agony -- the nausea level is at a maximum.  The time just crawls by.....

At about the 30 min. mark, the nurse comes back in with the booster:  warm beer plus ipecac.  I grab the booster and try to drink it, but immediately puke it up and then some into my duffy pan.   For the next hour I continue to gag and puke into the duffy pan.  I'm pouring sweat, my head it throbing, I feel horrible.

This duffy is completely kicking my butt.

At the end of my three hours, I still feel horrible, but I need to get out of my room because it reeks of alcohol.  I make my way down to the lounge with a handful of crackers and a cup of sprite.  I sink into the couch and nibble on my crackers and sip my sprite hoping my stomach will settle.

It's a good 4-5 hours before I can eat anything solid.   It's a long, rough day...

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment