Admittance Day (Feb 2013)

I arrived at the Schick Shadel facility at 6pm for my check-in.  The facility is called a hospital, but it really looks much less institutional than that. It is a small, two- level building set in the trees at the end of a steep driveway with peaceful views.

I drove my own vehicle to the facility and was told I could park out back in the visitors area.  After parking, I was somewhat apprehensive about going into the building.  The reality of letting my drinking get to the point that I needed treatment really started to hit home as I sat there looking at the facility.

After some reflection, I grabbed my bag and paperwork and headed for the front door. As I entered the reception area of the Schick Shadel facility, I was met with a very pleasant receptionist.   I told her I was here to check-in and she asked me for my ID and insurance information.  After making copies of these, she told me that someone would soon be out to meet me.

Within 5 minutes, the admittance person came up front and asked me to follow her back to her office.  As I followed the admittance person; I was met with a very clean, inviting, and warm facility.  Not what I expected at all.  Lingering around the hallway were half a dozen people in green medical scrubs, quietly talking.  I later found out from my roommate that these people are referred to as "Greens."  "Greens" are those who are in active treatment.  The "Blacks" are those wearing black scrubs and are in medical detox and don't participate in any of the standard treatment.  I ran into a few of these folks and they looked to be in pretty bad shape.

After working through some insurance and admittance paperwork and paying my co-payment, I was asked to turn over my wallet and keys to be locked in the facility's safe.  I guess they don't want you making a run for it in the middle of the night. :)

After finishing the paperwork, I was met by a tall smiling male nurse named Leeh.  Right away Leeh had a good sense of humor and made me feel at ease, slapping me on the back and just being friendly.  Leeh asked me to grab may bag and follow me to my room.  On the way to my room, Leeh grabbed me some scrubs, towels, and robe.  I was kind of sticking out like a sore thumb in my regular cloths, so I was looking forward to getting into uniform.

I was put in a room with another male, who was attending a group meeting at the time.

Leeh asked me to dump out my backback so he could go through everything to make sure I didn't have any "contraband" with me.  I'm assuming he was looking for some stash of alcohol or other drugs.  After inspecting all items, Leeh told me he would have to take my backpack and street cloths and put them in storage.  I was allowed to keep my personal items, which included my cell phone and undergarments.    Leeh then asked me to get in my scrubs and meet him down at the nurses station.

After putting on my scrubs and heading down to the nurses station, Leeh led me to an exam room for an EKG and a blood draw.  As we were walking to the exam room, Leeh told me that they had a new type of EKG specifically designed for the Schick Shadel program.  Leeh went on to explain that it would deliver a slight electrical shock and asked me if I had a problem with lock jaw.  He also said that I might smell a slight aroma of burnt hair.  At this point, I'm starting to get a little nervous.

I take my scrub shirt off and Leeh starts hooking up the electrodes.  I'm looking at the EKG machine and wondering exactly what this shock part of the scan is all about.   Leeh moves over to the controls and tells me he's about to begin and to not let my tongue get between my teeth so I won't bit down on it with the shock is administered.

Leeh says "Are you ready?  Now don't move or we'll have to do this over."   I look over at him and he says "You moved!  We're gonna have to start all of this over!"  I think he could tell I was getting a little freaked out because he slaps me on the shoulder with a big laugh and says "I'm just playing with ya..."

After my blood draw and TB test, I'm sent back to my room for the night.

My roommate  Louis,  is a real nice guy who is on his 9th day of treatment.  He tells me he has his final Duffy (more on this later) first thing in the morning and he's a little worried -- 20+ shots.  To prepare, Louis had 2 big pitchers of water next to his bed that he planned to consume first thing in the morning before his Duffy.  Louis gives me the low down on what to expect in my first day and also what to expect in a Duffy.  He does warn me that he'll be confined to his bed until nearly noon, but I'm welcome to stay in the room if I want to sit and watch him puke.  However, I think good Duffy etiquette would suggest that I give him his privacy.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment